Contributors

Friday, December 14, 2012

Newtown, CT. I need to get this out.

I just...I don't know how to comprehend this tragedy in Connecticut  I mean, children. Children just slaughtered and gunned down and I don't understand why someone could do this. I want to cry and crawl back into bed because I don't know what else to do.

I mean, this Onion article basically sums me up right now. Just. Fuck. Everything.

But at the same time, it makes me want to be a better person and lead my example and fix this.

Schools shouldn't have to be fortresses, my dad, who was a district superintendent for 15 years, said.

He is absolutely correct. Giving guns to teachers? Armed guards? No. Nonononononono.

I went to Honduras. I saw armed guards everywhere in this third world country. I saw gates around schools (if the school was even fortunate enough to have a roof, much less walls). We should be better than that. Every child deserves to be safe, and every child, especially in a nation that believes itself to be the best in the world, should be able to have a childhood in a child-friendly school. And as much as it broke my heart to see these circumstances in Honduras, it pains me just as much that this is where we are as an industrialized "world leader".

When I went to elementary school, the doors were left open in the warmer months to let air circulate. My best friend's dog once got out of their yard and came running into the school and into the halls. It was pretty funny.

Now, all the doors are locked and you have to speak to someone in the office outside of the building via camera or intercom just to get in to the building.

The answer can't be to arm teachers, or faculty, or students or get rid of gun-free zones. That is a stupid fucking idea. It's the prelude to an arms race for fear and paranoia and safety and we are better than that, I cannot stress that enough.

I don't want to politicize the day, but dammit Cracked, your arguments are compelling  The Second Amendment didn't account for guns that destroy entire communities in a blink of an eye. The Constitution is meant to be changed. Framers. Our fore-fathers were known as the Framers because they were merely framing things out for us to change at a later date should we feel it necessary. Justice Scalia is wrong; the Constitution is more like a living organism than a legal document - but, in which 46% of Americans would deny, that means you'd have to admit that it evolves. The Constitution evolves as the America evolves as a nation and society. Why is this a hard thing to understand? Is your gun collection really worth it? To see shit like this happen?  Oh, here's another article about it; EVERY DAY is the day to talk about gun control and gun safety. (If you read only one link I posted, please read that last one).

But. Then again. Today in China, a man knifed 22 children. I don't know what to make of that either, and maybe regulations aren't the answer (and yes I know China isn't our concern but holy shit these were just babies, too!) but I don't know how else to concentrate my rage.

Someone on twitter pointed out "if only access to mental healthcare was as available as firearms".
My brother pointed out the problems stemming from angry young men. Why, as a society, can we not recognize and lift these people up to the help they need? I'm not talking about "red flags". I'm talking about retooling our society to encourage seeking help, encourage constructive behavior instead of frustration, apathy, and anger.

I. Don't. Understand.

Why are the ONLY websites that are making sense and not just blasting images of children in our faces the comedy websites? Why are we okay with feeling awful and fucked up about it now while at the same time we just accept that it's going to happen again? Why do we put the responsibility of contingency in every horrible situation on the would-be victims?

Right before the Holidays, too. I mean, it's not okay ANY time of the year, but these kids, these babies, they had so much ahead of them and they had hopes and dreams and Christmas lists and probably wanted to see the Hobbit and for God's sake I don't know how to stop thinking about it, and part of me doesn't want to stop thinking about it because it means I've stopped thinking about these children who were robbed of their lives.

The adults killed, people trying to keep their students safe - it's so senseless. These are the people that should be revered in our society. They shouldn't have to be human shields for when shit like this goes down. God bless those people. God bless teachers and school staff everywhere.

And this family, the shooter, killing his mother....I don't....I'm at a loss for words. And I hate him for killing himself before he could give us answers and at least tell us wtf made him do something so unspeakable. Draw us a fucking timeline.

My mouth is so dry. I just can't even....and this year has been crazy violent. So much madness. It's sick. But how do we stop these things? How do we keep things pure and FREE without locking down schools and homes and living in a world where kids can never leave their mother's side?

I just want to scream as loud as I possibly can.


No comments:

Post a Comment