Contributors

Friday, September 14, 2012

Go West, Young Lady, Go West


Uh...so I'm thinking about going west. I'm not sure if I've made that clear or not.

I've really overstayed my welcome with Florida....and although I like where I am, I like where I'm working, and I like the people I've met in the Keys...it still feels off. I'm not functioning correctly. Some things just aren't meshing the way they should. Then again, I've also had a history of bad luck (and relapses, come to think of it) with the Keys in the first place. Hmm.

I can't help but feel it's time for a change of scenery and climate.

Know what else is west of here? St. Louis. There's this part of me that keeps reminding me, like my own personal Navi, that Heeeey Lissssstteeeeeeen remember when you lived in St. Louis and it was freaking awesome and you loved every minute of it? Remember how much you loved walking around Forest Park? Remember how it was so damn easy to make friends there? I do remember. And honestly, I think I would be just as happy if I moved back (although my best friend is moving away from the City! boooo) - unlike with Disney, St. Louis happiness isn't situational. I feel good whenever I visit. I feel at home. I walk around the zoo and meet up with old friends and actually make plans to hang out because that's what friends do. I don't feel hollow whenever I visit Disney or Tampa - like a time traveler who suddenly wound up in the future and there's no place for them anymore. Finding an ecology job in the city would be a real task, though.    I'm not sure I want to do keeping anymore. I mean, I think I would love it, but I also think that if I stick with science and conservation I need to be in the field.

....Which brings me back to the West. Like west West. Like West Coast...although Colorado and Wyoming don't sound so bad, either. But then there's Yosemite, which I instantly fell in love with....and of course it all comes back to employment. It seems NPS jobs are few and far between right now, and few places are hiring research techs. I've bookmarked some natural history museums so I can check their job pages periodically but nothing has turned up yet.

And then there's the issue with Linkedin because I don't even have a professional enough picture to use and I'm kind of scared to network (I'm really bad at it) because I'm afraid people won't remember me or some other irrational fear.

Oh yeah I need to finish my Peace Corps application. I think JET might be out of the picture now - I just don't have the heart to apply like I once did.

So yeah, West. I'm going to send all my positive vibes out that something turns up because at this point that's all I can do.

To offset any unnecessary bitching in this post:


  • My friends are freaking amazing. I was thinking about this today - I have 359 friends on facebook and the only reason I can't pare it down more is that every single person, at any given moment, has the possibility that they post something I like or that sparks a conversation or vice versa. I don't collect friends - I keep in touch with them, even if it's something as mundane as a "like". Caring about that many people reminds me how blessed I am to have traveled and met so many wonderful people. 
  • I had a dream about Drosophila (fruit flies) last night. Genetics still haunts my dreams, apparently. 
  • George the cat is adorable but he drives me crazy what with his escaping shenanigans and his tendency to paw and cry at my door (to be let into my room) at like 3:00 am every night. 
  • I made friends with a baby raccoon. 
  • I think a Wes Anderson marathon may be in my immediate future
  • I'm thinking of joining that there twitter machine...even though I LITERALLY have no idea how it works. (I get the concept, the website confuses me)
  • Being really absent minded means I'm a genius, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment